Saturday 12 January 2013

So its the weekend, after a long long week and I took to what I love doing most when I need a bit of therapy: cooking.

I wanted to make use of this big box of cherries that I purchased before Christmas were starting to get bad, but I had faith that at least 60% of the cherries were usable so I spent at least 30 minutes cutting and going through them all.

When I was done I decided to make two deserts: the first a "Cherry Cheesecake Frozen Yoghurt" and "Cherry Choc Cheesecake".

Now when it comes to my cooking I can honestly say that my food is very simply made but like my personality its very lazy! What this means is if I'm trying a new recipe (especially one that is quite complicated and has lots of ingredients ) I will mostly likely skim over the methodology and ingredients and then improvise; and yes the results aren't always the best.

This is why I always stick to oven-roast meals and steamers and make simple meals. But my boyfriend is most happy with those and I think being a busy working person, simplicity is the best policy.

So if you have any fruits you want to get rid of like I did, the Cherry Cheesecake Frozen Yoghurt I made was simple and have succeeded, luckily! (I have an excuse in the fact I do not have an ice cream maker :p)

This is the recipe I used :

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cherry-cheesecake-frozen-yogurt/

But what I did was simply:

1) Get 1 packet of cream cheese, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and start mixing that. I got a tub of low fat yoghurt but not sugar free yoghurt and poured that in slowly and that made a nice consistency.

2) Being a total klutz in the kitchen I was making the benches bloody with the cherry juice; it was totally worth it when I had the cherrys pureed. I got about 3 cups worth of cherrys from the box, but I think a good cup of pureed cherries would be enough, and I used 1.5 cups myself, save for the cheesecake later.

3) Mix the cherries in. I put it into an empty ice cream container and just left it in the freezer.

4) To see how it was going I went to check up on it about 3 hours later, and mixed in the frozen bits to the still runny mixture; I think stirring it every few hours helps it coagulate a lot better.

5) The next morning: the final check. Success! Comes out creamy yet it has a nice sorbet texture.
I think this recipe can use any other fruits, you can use no sugar yoghurt but you will need add sugar in the first step, about 1 cup.


Here are photos of my first attempt at some ice cream:




 
On the spoon it does taste very creamy but has a sorbet texture, the cream cheese gives it that yummy cheesecake flavor, it really does taste like cheesecake ice cream!

If you have any suggestions on how to improve this recipe, please let me know (and yes I'm sure they will be mainly read the recipe!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment